I wrote fairly recently about whether people are either tick-box travellers or whether they like to spend time reading the plaques on landmarks to find out about the history, etc. And when writing this, I had my forthcoming 6-day road trip in mind.
But I’ve got an adventure to go on this week….I’m off to London on Friday afternoon and I’ve got SO many things I want to do. Yes, I’m the type of traveller who wants to get in, take photos, tick it off my list and head off to the next place. Now, I live in Sussex which isn’t far from London but I rarely go up there and I want to make the most of my time. So, these are the places that I’m really hoping to visit and photograph:
- The trolley going into the brick wall on ‘Platform 9 3/4’ at King’s Cross train station (yes, referencing Harry Potter)
- The British Library which is in the biggest library in the world
- The British Museum (which is open until 8.30pm on Friday)
- Neal’s Yard (I’m so excited about ticking off this one)
- Leadenhall Market including the entrance to the opticians (which was a filming location for the door into the Leaky Cauldron in Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone)
- Little Venice
- The blue front door used in the film Notting Hill where Hugh Grant’s character lived (and also photograph the coffee shop where Hugh spills his orange juice over Julia Roberts and the bookshop where Hugh worked.
- St. Luke’s Mews which was a filming location for Love Actually where the character Mark declares his love to recently-married Juliet by holding up cue cards
- The Globe Tavern (which was used in the film Bridget Jones’ Diary for her flat)
- Borough Market
- And………..my VIP visit to the Sky Garden where it’s been arranged for me to bypass the public ticket/queue. I’m going to be signed in by someone who knows someone who knows someone I used to know!
Actually, now I’ve written it, that’s a very long list! If you look at my bucket list, you’ll see how some of the above will be positive steps towards either ticking off or working towards some of the challenges. So, this is going to take careful planning, a heap of energy and a fully charged phone to capture everything! And, yes, I’ll blog on Saturday afternoon to tell you how many of these I managed to tick off.
I’d love to hear about your favourite places in London…..just in case I can squeeze in one more place!